THANK YOU FOR BOMBING
Barbara Eder was born in Eisenstadt, Austria. She studied film directing at the University for Music and Performing Arts in Vienna and started her career making short films and documentaries. She made her feature film directorial debut with "INSIDE AMERICA" (2010), which was screened at international film festivals, among others TORONTO, GOTEBURG, PUSAN, THESSALONIKI, SARAJEVO, and awarded for BEST FEATURE FILM at MAX OPHULS FESTIVAL 2011.
Her following project "GAZE INTO THE ABYSS" (2012), a documentary about Criminal Profilers, won the ROMY for BEST CINEMA DOCUMENTARY.
"THANK YOU FOR BOMBING" is her second feature film.Filmography:2013: Kreuz des Südens2012: Gaze into the Abyss2010: Inside America
Festival(s) & Award(s)
- 2015: Toronto International Film Festival
- 2015: Zurich Filmfestival (Switzerland)
- 2015: Internationale Hofer Filmtage (Germany)
- 2015: Thessaloniki International Film Festival (Greece)
- 2015: Les Journées Cinématographiques de Carthage (JCC)
- 2015: Tallin Black Nights Film Festival (Estonia)
- 2015: The 16th Tbilisi International Film Festival (Georgia)
- 2015: FILMZ - Festival des Deutschen Kinos (Germany)
- 2016: Göteborg International Film Festival (Sweden)
- 2016: Febiofest - International Film Festival Prague (Czech Republic)
- 2016: Hong Kong International Film Festival
- 2016: FILMKUNSTFEST • Main Prize "Flying Ox"
Austrian filmmaker Barbara Eder's latest fiction feature looks at the behind-the-camera lives of three international war correspondents on assignment in Afghanistan.
A fictional look at the behind-the-scenes lives of three war correspondents on assignment, Thank You for Bombing is a welcome antidote to our frenzied media environment in which ephemeral news headlines are prescribed by popularity ratings.
When a group of American soldiers in Afghanistan burn the Quran, the incident generates a worldwide controversy and the international news outlets send in their investigative troops. But for middle-aged Austrian reporter Ewald (Erwin Steinhauer), the assignment is cut short at the point of departure when he recognizes a figure from the past. Miles away, in Kabul, American reporter Lana (Manon Kahle) struggles to gain her male colleagues' respect for her work as an on-the-ground correspondent. A couple of floors above Lana's station headquarters sits Cal (Raphael von Bargen), a burnt-out reporter frustrated at having to deliver idle reports from a hotel rooftop. This triptych of stories gives us a glimpse into the human experience -- the tension and anxiety, but also the quotidian in-between moments -- behind the streams of text and pixels that make up our daily news.
This is a deeply honest look at the traumatic experiences suffered by war correspondents. Showcasing her protagonists' intense fragility as well as their strength of spirit, director Barbara Eder reveals them to be unsung heroes who play a key role in our relationships with today's global crises. Powerful and thought-provoking, Thank You for Bombing reminds us of the humanist instinct for truth and justice -- and the sacrifices made in their pursuit.
Dimitri Eipides (TIFF)
- Runtimes: 100'
- Color(s): Colors
- Ratio: 1,85:1
- Sound: Dolby Digital / 5.1
- Country(ies) of production: Austria
- Original Language(s): English / German
- Subtitle(s) available: English
- Audience: Parents Strongly Cautioned (-12)
- Format(s) available: Bluray / DCP
Artistic & Technical Crew
- Screenplay: Barbara Eder, Tommy Pridnig
- Cinematographer: Christian Haake
- Editor: Monika Willi, Claudia Linzer
- Music: Wolfgang Mitterer
- Producer: Tommy Pridnig, Peter Wirthensohn
- Produced by: Lotus-Film GmbH