Reema Sengupta is a young writer-director-editor based in Mumbai. She has directed narrative films, music-videos, commercials, interactive video installations and after-movies across India, UK, South Korea and the US.
She was awarded the prestigious Asian Film Academy Fellowship (2012), where she represented India at the Busan International Film Festival. The International Green Screen Lab 2012 selected Reema's first feature film script.
Reema's first short-film - 'The Tigers, They're all Dead' won fourteen awards, including the IDPA Award for Excellence 2013. She graduated from the University of Westminster, London in 2012, with first class honours, and the highest overall percentage in the entire Media Art
and Design School.
In 2014, Reema co-founded CATNIP, a niche production house. As CATNIP's writerdirector, she has created over 200 videos for leaders of International entertainment in India, a host of noteworthy brands such as Red Bull & Amazon and international artists such as
Skrillex, Steve Aoki, among several others.
Reema is interested in mixed media aesthetics and the use of cinema as a device for tangible social change. She is currently writing her first feature film.Filmography:2012: The Tigers, They're All Dead2012: Tyu's Company2017: Counterfeit Kunkoo
Festival(s) & Award(s)
- 2018: Sundance Film Festival | Official Selection
- 2018: Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Festival | International Competition
- 2018: San Francisco Independent Film Festival
- 2018: DC Independent Film Festival
- 2018: New Renaissance Film Festival Amsterdam
- 2018: Portland Oregon Women’s Film Festival
- 2018: Regard Film Festival
- 2018: Atlanta Film Festival
- 2018: Aspen Shortsfest
- 2018: Women+Film Festival
- 2018: Mooov Festival
- 2018: Indiememe Festival
- 2018: Palm Springs International Shortfest
In a city that houses millions, Smita finds herself fighting beasts of a different kind as she discovers a strange pre-requisite to renting a house in middle-class Mumbai.
She would make an ideal tenant - except for one glaring flaw. She is a middle-class Indian woman without a husband.
An intimate perspective on the ‘ideal Indian female’ in urban India.
- Runtimes: 15'
- Color(s): Colors
- Country(ies) of production: India
- Original Language(s): Hindi
- Subtitle(s) available: English
- Audience: General Audiences
Artistic & Technical Crew
- Screenplay: Reema Sengupta
- Cinematographer: Harshvir Oberai
- Sound: Prashant Nayar
- Producer: Surekha Sengupta
- Producer: Kunal Punjabi