Dania Bdeir is a Lebanese writer & director with an intense love/hate relationship with Lebanon which she finds to be her biggest heartache and sincerest inspiration.Bdeir was born in Canada, where her parents traveled to escape the Lebanese civil war. After the war, they moved back to Beirut, where Dania received her Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design from the American University of Beirut. In 2016, Bdeir received her MFA in writing and directing from Tisch School of the Arts.Her pre-thesis film Meshkal (English title: Kaleidoscope), has traveled to film festivals in France, Morocco, Pakistan, Mexico, Czeck Republic, India and many more. It has won a few notable awards including "Award of Excellence" at the 2014 Canada International film festival and "Golden Palm" at the 2014 Mexico International Film Festival.
Bdeir's latest short film "In White" which was selected by Spike Lee to receive a production grant, had its world premiere at the prestigious 2017 Clermont-Ferrand Film Festival and continues to hit the festival circuit.
In White is a proof of concept for Bdeir's first feature film which she is currently in development for.Filmography:2013: Kaleidoscope
Festival(s) & Award(s)
- 2017: Clermont Ferrand International short film festival | International Competition
- 2017: Tripoli Film Festival
Her father’s funeral brings Lara back to Beirut from her modern life in NYC, forcing her to face the traditions she escaped and the untraditional fiancee she’s been hiding.
“In White” was selected by Spike Lee to receive a production grant.
- Runtimes: 16'
- Color(s): Colors
- Sound: 5.1
- Country(ies) of production: Lebanon
- Original Language(s): Arabic / English
- Subtitle(s) available: English
- Audience: General Audiences
- Format(s) available: ProRes HD
Artistic & Technical Crew
- Screenplay: Dania Bdeir
- Cinematographer: Christopher Aoun
- Editor: Johnny Bassett, Ted Raviv
- Producer: Dania Bdeir
- Produced by: Ginger Beirut Productions