Born in Beirut Lebanon in 1985. Graduated with an MA in New media and contemporary Art Studies from Goldmiths College, LONDON, UK (2009), after having completed a BA in 2d/3d animation and Art Direction/Illustration at the Academie Libanaise des Beaux-Arts, LEBANON (2007)Filmography:
Festival(s) & Award(s)
- 2015: 68th Festival de Cannes | Official Short Film Competition • Palme d'Or
- 2015: Toronto International Film Festival | Short Cuts
- 2015: Dubai International Film Festival
- 2015: American Film Institute Festival (AFI FEST)
- 2015: LatinArab Film Festival
- 2016: Sundance Film Festival
- 2016: Transilvania International Film Festival (Romania)
- 2016: Milano Film Festival
- 2016: Ajyal Youth Film Festival
In the chaos of the city, A teenager is swept on a journey that will forever change him.
Disillusioned with his life in the suburbs of segregated Beirut, Omar's discovery lures him into the depths of the city. Immersed into a world that is so close yet so isolated from his reality that he eventually finds himself struggling to keep his attachments, his sense of home.
Waves ’98 is as much a narrative film as a personal visual essay addressed to Dagher’s city, Beirut.
The film is the artistic exploration of his current relation with his home country told through the story of a teenager from 1998. Since Ely started spending more and more time outside of Lebanon for studies/work his relation with Beirut Started to become more and more complicated. The overall Narrative of the film is heavily based on Ely’s efforts to understand his changing relation towards Beirut, juxtaposed with the narrative of a teenager’s early exciting discovery of the segregated city.
- Runtimes: 15'
- Color(s): Colors
- Sound: Stereo / 5.1
- Country(ies) of production: Lebanon / Qatar
- Original Language(s): Arabic
- Subtitle(s) available: English
- Format(s) available: DCP / ProRes HD
Artistic & Technical Crew
- Screenplay: Ely Dagher
- Producer: Ely Dagher
- Producer: Nina Najjar
- Producer: Christina Farah
- Visual Effects: Ely Dagher, Laure Escafadals, Chadi Aoun
- Produced by: BeaverAndBeaver